In order to maximize your playing abilities on the bass guitar you’ll want to learn the notes on the fretboard,
On a standard 6 string guitar, there are 6 patterns that are useful for locating all of 1 particular note on every string.
On the bass guitar we can use 4 distinct patterns.
Here is a picture of the bass fretboard:
What we can do is take 1 note and learn the 4 patterns to be able to skip between all of the notes of that kind.
We’ll start with the note F.
- To start with play the 1st fret of the E string. This is your first F.
- Then play the next F which is the 3rd Fret of the D string
- Then the next one is the 8th fret A string
- Next is 10th Fret G string
- Then the 13th Fret of the E string.
The pattern then just repeats itself (so you’d use the blue line, red, green and then yellow)
Here are a few more examples using the notes A and B :
As you can see the 4 patterns are always the same. Depending on what note you start on, determines which pattern / colour you use.
Many thanks for reading this blog – feel free to share the blog around and comment.